You can apply for a residence permit for the following reasons:
- Humanitarian, international or political reasons
- Family-related reasons
You may only work in Germany if this is clearly noted on your residence permit.
A residence permit can be extended. This also takes into account whether you have participated on an integration course. You will receive an electronic residence permit or a sticker in your passport.
General information on the procedure
Please contact the Foreigners'registration Office to arrange an appointment for the initial granting of your residence permit. You should register beforehand at any Citizen's Service Centre in the city.
The validity of a residence permit is generally limited.
General conditions for granting a permit:
The granting of a residence permit requires above all that
- you have entered the country with the necessary visa and have already provided the information relevant to the issue of the residence permit in the visa application (in particular regarding the purpose of your stay),
- your identity has been established and you meet the passport requirement,
- you can provide for yourself without recourse to public funds (you are considered able to provide for yourself if your income is at least equivalent to the basic level of social assistance plus the costs for accommodation and heating as well as any health insurance contributions - special rules apply in some cases),
- there are no reasons to deport you and
- Insofar as there is no entitlement to a residence permit, your stay does not disrupt or jeopardise the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
The Foreigners' Registration Office will grant and extend the residence permit for specific purposes upon application.
Note: A residence permit will expire if
- the foreigner leaves the country for a reason that is by its very nature not temporary,
- the foreigner leaves the country and does not return within six months or within the period defined by the Foreigners' Registration Office.
The German Residence Act provides for the following types of stay:
Humanitarian, International Law, Political Reasons
For qualified job seekers or for finding a training place
This may sound quite complicated but the the team at the Welcome Center will gladly help you to apply for the residence permit that is right for you.