Jump to content

Customs Duty

You do not normally have to pay customs duty for the import of your private household goods. Items that you can import duty-free when moving to Stuttgart are classed as personal effects.

German customs (Zoll) handles goods and wares that are imported to Germany. (Symbol picture)
Note: Personal effects remain under customs surveillance for twelve months. This means that the goods must not be handed over to any other person during this period (loaned, pledged, rented, sold or given as a gift). If this condition is not met, the exemption from customs duty no longer applies and the customs duty is charged.

The following constitute personal effects:

  • Household goods, i.e. all personal belongings, such as household textiles, bed and table linen, furniture as well as appliances that you need for your own personal use.
  • All kinds of private vehicles, i.e. vehicles and motorcycles, cars (possibly with trailers), camping trailers, pleasure boats and private aircraft (a certificate issued by the relevant foreign authorities should provide evidence that the vehicle or aircraft was registered for use in the appropriate country in your name).
  • Household provisions, provided that they do not exceed the quantities appropriate to normal family requirements - these quantities should be based on the requirements at the old place of residence.
  • Pets and animals used for riding.
  • Portable instruments and equipment for skilled and professional activities provided they are needed to exercise your profession. 

The following do not constitute personal belongings:  

  • Alcoholic products;
  • Tobacco and tobacco products;
  • Commercial vehicles;
  • Commercially used items other than portable instruments and equipment for skilled and professional activities.

You might also be interested in

Explanations and information

Picture credits

  • Zoll
  • Max Kovalenko
  • Stadt Stuttgart/Martin Lorenz
  • Thomas Wagner/Stadt Stuttgart